Saturday, August 02, 2008

Second thoughts?

I'm on the verge of taking a big step. Honestly, the step's already been taken. Soon it will be known publicly. But today I had a moment of doubt, a moment when I wondered if it wasn't the right step or the right timing.

No, it wasn't at lunch, when I opened my fortune cookie to read, "Re-evaluate your plans for long-term success." I no longer make life decisions based on fortune cookies and magic 8 balls; that's the one New Year's resolution I've kept since 2003.

This moment happened randomly, while I was driving this evening. I had a small wave of fear sweep over me, causing me to question if I knew what I was doing. And for a moment, I truly wondered if I did. Was it a mistake? Did I misread God's plans? Am I headed for disaster?

And then I remembered a time nine years ago when I took a big step (it was much clearer and easier in that situation), and I remembered how I awoke one morning completely engulfed in fear that I had made a mistake. Fortunately, my roommate was able to knock some sense into me and reminded me that I hadn't made a rash decision, I had taken time to pray and seek counsel, and just hours earlier I was confident that I had God's peace in the situation.

My friend was right. And tonight, I had the same reminder. It's all rooted in Philippians 4:6-7...
    Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

No comments: