Friday, January 11, 2008

I miss manual odometers.


This afternoon I was out running errands, and I realized my car was about ready to hit 33,000 miles. Unfortunately, I have a digital odometer, so I have to pay close attention or I'll miss the actual "rollover" moment. Watching the odometer and watching the road at the same time -- well, it's probably riskier than driving without a hands-free device on your cell! But I did catch the actual moment this time.

It occurred to me today how much I miss having a manual odometer. I loved the sense of anticipation for the changing of a thousand or a ten-thousand mark. You see one number slowly start to roll, then the next, then the next, then the next... With a digital odometer, nothing. One moment my car had 32,999 miles on it. The next it had 33,000. Blink and you miss it. Such a shame.

No comments: