Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Christian ghetto and me.

I realized this evening that in just a few weeks, I’ll no longer be on the staff of my church. This wasn’t a sudden realization, of course, but for some reason it struck me tonight as I sat inside a local Starbucks doing some editing work.

It’s quite likely that my next career step will be a season as a freelance editor and writer. I don’t know if that season will last six months, a year, two years, or longer. But I’m excited to see what God has in store.

And while working tonight, I realized that as a pastor, I’ve done a pretty weak job of developing meaningful relationships with people who don’t attend my church or don’t already have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Back in my newspapers days, I had friends from a wide range of backgrounds. They weren’t all Christians.

One of my hopes and goals and desires is that in this next season of my life, I’ll do a better job of breaking out of my Christian ghetto.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a hunch that this is true of most pastors and others who work in the church. You are, by nature of your job, surrounded by people of faith.

I remember back in the day being frustrated with a pastor who used to lecture us about being a "witness" in the work place. And I would think - you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as you've spent your whole adult life working with people who believe the same as you.

Good for you for recognizing the importance of cultivating diverse relationships.

Anonymous said...

good post, it's time for all of us Christians to get out of the ghetto and hang with many others! conservatives/liberals/various religions/diverse individuals- our lives would be that much more rich :o)

AshliO said...

I look forward to watching your journey, Rob.