Friday, August 18, 2006

The next Harry Potter?

So I'm sitting at my mom's house this evening. She's just gone through her second round of chemo to battle lymphoma. We're watching the evening news (yes, people DO still watch it, apparently), and ABC World News decided to name the newest Sesame Street muppet as its Person of the Week.

This new character is named Abby Cadabby, a 3-year-old fairy-in-training who apparently is the first new character in 13 years to be introduced on the show. Her appearance is an attempt to create a strong lead female presence on the show. Cool.

But she's a fairy. She flies around and has a magic wand. And it got me thinking. Is Abby Cadabby the next Harry Potter? Are some evangelical Christians going to latch onto the idea of a "magical fairy" teacing their kids on Sesame Street, and become irate about it?

If so, I'll be disappointed. But I should at least get some kind of applause for predicting the trend before it happened... maybe I'll write a book about it... maybe I can retire early or buy a house or travel the world... hmmm...

1 comment:

EM said...

I thought they intoduced another muppet that had AIDS... was that 13 years ago? if it was... wow... time flies.