Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Some recent reads.

Here are some books I've recently read:

1. "Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others," by James Kouzes and Barry Posner
As someone who's always led more from my head than my heart, I found this book inspiring, thought-provoking and encouraging. Kouzes and Posner, who wrote "The Leadership Challenge," do a good job of explaining the benefits of creating a team environment where everyone is encouraged and motivated to perform well and to reach their potential as team members. The book ends with a great to-do list of ways to encourage others and yourself.

2. "Jim & Casper go to Church," by Jim Henderson and Matt Casper
It's a quick read, but this book really forced me to reconsider the first impressions people have when walking into a church. Granted, most guests aren't going to be atheists (one of the authors is, and that's key to the book's approach), but people often do walk in with skeptical minds. At the very least, the authors' experiences gave me deeper ideas about the thoughts a first-time guest has at a church. I guess I'm just glad MY church wasn't picked...and I'm sure most other pastors would say the same thing!

CURRENT READS:
1. "Simple Church," by Thom S. Rainer and Eric Geiger

2. "The Complete Worship Leader," by Kevin J. Navarro

ON DECK:
1. "The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Fable for Managers (and their Employees)," by Patrick Lencioni

2. "In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day," by Mark Batterson

No comments: