Thursday, May 10, 2007

Picking a youth conference.

My email inbox included a message today from the folks at Youth Specialties promoting their fall lineups for the National Youth Workers Convention. The West Coast edition happens in San Diego in October, and right now, it doesn't conflict with any major events happening at our church.

But I face a dilemma this year. San Diego is a driveable event; I attended the 2006 conference in Anaheim, so I get an "alumni" rate; I know of at least one ministry friend who's planning to be at San Diego. All great reasons to go.

There's a good reason not to go, however. In February 2008, Group and Simply Youth Ministry are holding their second annual National Youth Ministry Conference (sure glad folks don't make the event names confusing or anything...), and I'd love to go. Of course, it's in Cincinnati next year; it would require a flight; and it's in February, which is just such a lovely time of year to visit Ohio.

Lots of reasons to attend both conferences, and money is one reason I probably can't. Registration for these puppies can be pretty steep, and the travel expenses add to the financial dint. YS' event has proven to be a good conference over the last three years I've attended, but the Group/SYM convention takes a different take and approach and I've heard great things about the 2007 conference.

I don't have to decide today, fortunately, but at some point I must choose. We'll see which way I go.

No comments: